Every year Discovery Health offers people previously disadvantaged individuals from different communities various learnership opportunities. These learnerships are part of the government’s National Skills Development Strategy to ease poverty by instilling people with skills that can lead to gainful employment.
Discovery is an authorised financial services provider. Discovery Health administers Discovery Health Medical Scheme, South Africa’s largest open medical aid. Discovery offers a wide range of health plans from the most basic to the most complete cover.
Discovery offers various learnerships, under the auspices of the Insurance Sector Education and Training Authority (INSETA). The qualifications are Unit Standard Based and will be accredited by the South African Qualification Authority (SAQA).
Discovery Learnerships are open to those with the necessary qualification required to study for the certificates that will be earned at the completion of the learnership.
All learnerships consist of both theoretical and practical training in that particular field, and learners must complete all aspects of the training and compile a Portfolio of Evidence in order to qualify for the certificate. Learners will earn a monthly stipend for the duration of the learnership.
There are certain requirements for being accepted into Discovery Learnerships:
- Strong English communication skills
- Self-motivated with a desire to learn
- Good interpersonal skills
- Basic computer skills
Qualifications & Experience
- Candidates must be South African Citizens
- Hold a valid and recognised Matric with Maths (Minimum D Symbol) and English (Minimum C Symbol on Standard Grade) and a 2nd Language (Minimum D or Level 4)
- Learners must have achieved at least two languages at Matric (Minimum D symbol or Level 4)
- Not be engaged in post Matric studies or formal employment
- Not have completed any previous Learnership
- Be between the ages of 18 and 30 years
- Have effective communication skills in the English language
- Possess basic computer skills
- Express a keen interest in healthcare, administration, contact centre and customer service or a keen interest in claims assessing, healthcare and data capturing (depending on the learnership)
The cost of attending interviews and any relocation cost will be for the account of the candidate. Discovery will not reimburse any costs incurred; it is therefore recommended that you apply for a learnership in the area in which you live
Preference will be given to applicants from designated groups and suitable internal candidates in line with Discovery’s policies.
Discovery Health Contact Centre Learnership
The focus of this Learnership will be on providing services in a contact centre environment.
The Learnership Programme is offered in Cape Town for a period of one year (12 months) and consists of structured learning components combined with practical workplace experience totalling 1 350 learning hours.
Learners will obtain a recognised qualification in Contact Centre operations on successful completion of this learnership. This will allow them to gain access to the industry with a better employment profile
The Closing date for applications for this learnership is 31 January 2015. Click here to apply
Discovery Medical Claims Assessing Learnership
The focus of this learnership will be data capturing of medical claims.
This Learnership Programme is being offered in Port Elizabeth for a period of one year (12 months) and consists of both structured learning components and practical workplace experience that will total up to 1 500 learning hours.
Upon successful completion of this learnership, the learner will obtain a recognised and portable qualification in Claims Assessing that will allow them to get a job in the industry much easier.
The Closing date for applications for this learnership is 13 January 2015. Click Here To Apply Online at Discovery Careers
When applying for a learnership, make sure that you specify the learnership post that you are applying for (e.g. Discovery Health Contact Centre Learnership, Port Elizabeth)
- Make sure that you sign the application form yourself
- Attach certified copies of your certificates and Identity Document (these copies must have been certified within the last 3 months – you can get this done at any Police Station)
- Application forms that are late or unsigned will not be accepted
- Photocopied forms will not be accepted
2014-2015 Learnership Information
Discovery also offers a Wealth Management NQF Level 5 Learnership consisting of 1 500 learning hours of structured learning components combined with practical/workplace experience. You can find out more about this learnership here.
There are various learnership positions offered in different areas of South Africa for the Wealth Management NQF Level 5 Learnership, so make sure that you choose the one that would suit you best. This would most probably be the one that is nearest to where you live, as Discovery does not pay for any costs incurred for transport or relocation.
You can keep checking whether there are any other learnerships open for applications by accessing the Discovery Careers Website which you will find by clicking on this link.